1/1/12

2011 review, 2012 plans

Since it's typical to do this sort of thing, I'm going to recap 2011 and lay out my basic goals for 2012.

My only meet in 2011 was in March. It was my first meet in knee wraps and I had some high hopes for my squat. It didn't end up going well for me and I ended up with a weight 10 lbs less than my 2010 PR without wraps. I set a small PR in bench press and a bigger one on the dead lift. I thought it was strange because I barely pulled at all before that meet. I plan to keep that sort of plan up, even though I've switched from conventional to sumo. The sumo has gone okay, but I haven't pulled anywhere near 500 in the gym, so I definitely have a ways to go. The main reason I switched was that it is easier on my lumbar spine. Anything I can do to prolong my lifting career and still set PRs and compete will be good.

My personal/work life kept me from competing the rest of the year. Even so, I was able to set some pretty solid PRs. My best squat in knee wraps is now 605 and bench press is 405. I've been squatting and benching twice a week and have used the slingshot extensively in my bench training.
Below are some videos:

DLs from September:


Squat PR




Bench PR





For 2012, I will continue my 4 day/week routine with two bench press and two squat sessions. On occasion, I will pull instead of squat. Barring extenuating circumstances, I plan to compete in 4 meets. 3 full meets in March, July, and November and a bench only (or bench/deadlift... haven't decided) meet next weekend.

My goal for squat is 675 (knee wraps). Given that I've gained a lot of weight, I really think this is doable. I need to improve technique, which is part of the focus of my training set up.
For bench, I hope to nail a 450 lift. I think if I keep up the slingshot work, I can get there.
As for dead lift, I have a more modest goal. I'd like to get above 525 sumo.
If I can put this all together at a meet, I can get a master total.

As for diet, I hope to stick strongly to Carb Backloading. I plan to get down to 300-305 and stay there consistently. If I can put on some muscle and get down to 305, I'll consider my diet a success.

Mens sana in corpore sano.

No comments: