10/3/10

Sunday, October 3, 2010

2010 KS State Championships Meet Writeup

The meet was yesterday. I am pretty bummed out about my performance at the meet. I always told myself I'd open light so that I'd never bomb. Well, I bombed.

The squats went very well. 485 was my opener and it went up easily despite my belt being far too loose. One of the guys helped me get it on for the rest of them. My second attempt was 525. This was a grinder, but I got 3 whites! 13 lbs. PR in just 2.5 months. Third attempt was 540. That was a big jump and I got in the hole and had nothing left. I really think a lot of it was psychological, but I'm not going to worry about it. My goal for the next meet is to be at 550.

I opened at 345 for bench press. I think my biggest mistake was not taking into account the fact that I don't pause for the "press" command in my training. I really need to get that down. 345 is easy without the pause. Clearly I need more strength off the chest; it's probably an upper-back or lat strength issue, so it will be addressed. Second attempt was 370 even though I missed the 345. I couldn't hit it, so I was out. They were going to let me finish if I wanted, but I hate deadlifting and I hate getting handouts, so I told them to scratch me. In a national-level meet, I wouldn't have the option, so I don't want them giving it to me now.

Overall, the meet was great. I saw some new faces and got to see some old ones too. There were some high school kids competing which is always good to see as well.

Planning for something better next time.

Mens Sana in Corpore Sano

No comments: